Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I SAW THE WHO!! (for free!)

So yesterday, thanks to a oh-so-well-timed IM/e-mail from my good friend (perhaps new best friend) Goose, I learned about a very short lived ticket special at school today: They were GIVING AWAY tickets to see THE WHO (my most favorite band in the entire world) at MADISON SQUARE GARDEN!!! Needless to say, after learning about this, I left work and RAN (literally) down 5 flights of stairs, 3 blocks and up another flight of stairs to the on-campus ticket booth. Good thing there were two people ahead of me so that I could sort of catch my breath before asking for my tickets (I'm really out of shape, okay?). And as luck would have it, they had tickets left! So my brother and I got to head up to the Garden to see our favorite band! Both of us had seen The Who once previously so we knew we were in for a treat.

It was my first time at MSG and I couldn't help but feel a little sense of awe at entering such a historic venue. Our seats were pretty far back (in section 349, for anyone who knows MSG real well), but they were directly in line with the stage. And as it turns out, the Garden is a relatively small place for being such a major arena. There was maybe a 1/32 beat sound delay between the stage and our seats.

Anyhow, we arrived a little on the early side (for a concert anyway) and unfortunately managed to catch a very, very bad opening band. Actually, no, I take that back. They weren't THAT bad... They were just very inappropriate for this particular show. It was a band called The Peeping Toms, which sounded like a mix of Faith No More, Maroon 5, and Cypress Hill... I later discovered that this band is actually Mike Patton's new project (Patton is the lead singer from Faith No More). Anyone who knows any one of those bands might understand why the booker or promoter that put this bill together must have been on crack when he had this brilliant idea. I've never heard an opening band at a major show like this boo'd so much.

Three beers, a jumbo hot dog, and about 30 minutes later, The Peeping Toms were finally done. We eagerly returned to our seats to await the start of what promised to be an amazing show. Our promptness was rewarded when, after a relatively short change over, the lights went down, the crowd went crazy, and The Who took the stage.

They opened with one of their oldest hits, "I Can't Explain" (which happens to be playing on my iTunes right now, actually), then went right on into "The Seeker" followed by "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere." They then threw out a few newer songs, the names of which I don't recall right now, unfortunately. But they didn't leave us hanging for too long... They cranked out a blistering "Who Are You" as well as grand "Baba O'Riley." So amazing.

Then in the middle of the show, they did a medly of 6 songs from their new mini-opera. It's a story about a band's humble beginnings, rise to fame, eventual decline, and, well, some other issues that they didn't really go into very much... Loosely based on the members of The Who, the 6-song journey was a refreshing breath of new material from the aging genius, (and one of my idols) Pete Townshend.

On a quick side note, Pete's brother Simon was playing rhythm guitar and singing backing vocals. I thought this was pretty cool of ol' Pete to allow his younger brother to chill out on stage with him :) Also filling out the band was drummer Zac Starkey, Ringo Star's son. Man, was this guy awesome. He's pretty laid back, all in all... But when he needs to bring it, consider it brought.


Anyhow, then it was right back into the great old hits, like "Won't Get Fooled Again," (see above picture) "Eminence Front," and the anthemic "My Generation." Thus ended the first set... And, per tradition, after a quick break, they came back on to do another short set. This time, Townshend and Daltry came out alone and did an acoustic version of a newer song (again, I don't recall the name). Then, with the whole band back on stage, Townshend played perhaps one of the most famous intros in the history of rock 'n' roll: the opening to Pinball Wizard. I freaked. They then proceeded to play several songs from their most famous rock opera, Tommy, including "Amazing Journey," "Sparks," and of course the finale "See Me, Feel Me" (see below pic). I was in musical heaven. I never got to see them play so many songs from Tommy the last time I saw them (although I did get to see Quadrophenia in its entirety, which was great).


To top off the evening, the rest of the band left the stage one last time and Pete and Roger did a surprisingly touching duet (again, no name in my brain) which basically painted a picture of two aging rock stars sitting down to have some tea and talking about all they've accomplished-- and all they've lost. I think most people had a pretty good feeling that there were allusions to the death of their original drummer Keith Moon and, more recently, the sudden passing of bassist John Entwistle. Fittingly, Daltry was actually clutching a cup of tea for the whole song, saluting the audience (and perhaps his late mates) periodically during the choruses. A great end to a great show.

-e

1 comment:

Goose said...

Always glad to be of service ;)