Tuesday, August 29, 2006

US Open!

Yesterday, I had the privilege of attending the first day of the 2006 US Open. Jackie's relative had some connections to the tournament and scored a few tickets, one of which Jackie generously gave to me :)

I realized while waiting in the gigantic line outside the USTA complex that this event was the first major sporting event that I had ever been to. I'd never been to any World Series game, or Superbowl, or whatever. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that I'm not a HUGE fan of any of these sports in particular. But needless to say, I was feeling pretty excited to even be at such a big tournament.

In general, the matches we saw that first day were, as could've been expected, rather lopsided. The first match of the day was between Justine Henin-Hardenne (BEL) Maria Elena Camerin (ITA). Henin-Hardenne took the match 6-1, 6-2.



Up next was Andy Roddick (USA) vs. Florent Serra (FRA). Roddick was relentless... It was clear from the first game that Serra was no match for Roddick's 148 mph serves or his super intense mental game. Poor Serra was broken by the second set and Roddick ended up taking the match 6-2, 6-1, 6-3. But much to my chagrin, Roddick turned out to be just as big of an ass as everyone said he was. During the last set, despite the fact that he was clearly about to win the match, he started bitching and moaning to the line judges about their calls. Then after winning the match, he skipped about half of the kids waiting on the side of the court for his autograph (which, by the way, consisted of little more than Roddick gripping the marker with his whole fist, scratching it back and forth on their tennis ball, and not even looking at the wide-eyed kid whose ball he was signing). Class act, that Roddick. Class act.

Anyhow, the last match of the day was between the venerable Lindsay Davenport (USA) and relative newcomer Klara Zakopalova (CZE). At 6'2", Davenport towered over the seemingly tiny Zakopalova (who is 5'5"). Time after time, Zakapalova's racket would whack the ground as she lunged, unsuccessfully, after Davenport's serves. The first set was a joke, pretty much. It looked like the 24-year old Czech player was making a bit of a comeback during the second set... but my theory is that Davenport was just giving her a little more playing time before ending it. A kind gesture, if it was indeed the case. And if not, then kudos to Zakapalova for putting up a good fight!

Sadly, we did not get to see Andre Agassi's super dramatic match against Pavel, since our tickets were only for the day matches. It's too bad I won't get to see Agassi play at the US Open ever again! But all in all, I'm really glad I got to go. Now I want to learn how to play tennis :)

-e

No comments: