Monday, June 09, 2008

I Want I Want I Want I Want I Want I Want...

...the new iPhone! I've been waiting to get one of these things for probably 3 years now, ever since the first rumors started surfacing that Apple was developing a phone. I somehow managed to resist buying iPhone v.1... But yeah... I can't wait any longer. I must have it.

The most impressive new functionalities the iThang will feature are 3G and GPS capabilities. Apple also boasts that there will be much improved audio (what that means exactly is yet to be discovered) and great battery life. Otherwise, there are a few cosmetic modifications that just add to the cool factor such as thinner edges, a headphone jack that's flush with the outside edge, a glossy black plastic backing, and solid metal buttons. Though, the new headphone jack has some practical function as well, as it will allow people to use any headphones they want without the annoying adaptors.

AND, they've lowered the price. The 8 GB model will be available for $199 and the 16 GB model will be $299. Hot. And cheap. Hot, cheap buns. I mean, phones.


There are a few catches though. For one, there is no increase in memory, which people were hoping for. However, the most crappy thing is that all us Apple fanboys and fangirls, will have to continue to mop up our saliva until July 11th, when they will finally roll out this beautiful piece of technology. Check out these shots from the Gizmodo coverage of the WWDC:




Will there be pre-orders? I don't know. And I don't care. All I know is, I must have one. I will have one.

-e

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Here's the worst thing about the iPhone 3G: no more in-home activations. You MUST activate the phone in store - whether it's an Apple store or an AT&T store. You MUST choose a voice plan and a data plan in the store.

Additionally, it prevents people from giving the iPhone 3G as a gift. HUGE MISTAKE, AT&T.

I understand the reasoning. AT&T doesn't want people taking these phones to nether regions of the world and unlocking them, which prevents AT&T from recovering two years' worth of revenue on each phone. But if Apple is going to offer the iPhone 3G in 70 countries, and most countries in North America and South America have legitimate carriers for obtaining the phone, and there's an App Store where you can get tons of cheap or FREE applications, is there really that much to fear anymore?

By expanding the iPhone 3G's reach into so many parts of the world, Apple has limited the potential destinations for unlocked phones. The two main destinations I still see are China and Russia. (Hong Kong and Singapore have legit carriers.)

If Apple and AT&T have done the math and it makes sense to them, then fine. It's what we have to live with, anyway. But it's a huge step back from "Think Different" and a step back toward bending over for the major phone companies here in the U.S.